In 2011, we began the process of building an ecological farm on 8 acres north of Morrilton in the River Valley region of central Arkansas. We grow a variety of annual and perennial vegetables, herbs, grains, seeds, flowers, cotton, fruit trees, and berries. We have a small flock of egg laying hens, honey bees, and two horses. In the past we have offered a farm share, supplying local families with fresh produce, flowers, and eggs on a weekly basis.
- Research and implement small-scale farming practices based on principles found in permaculture design and ecological farming. Our land tends toward oak hickory forest. We are focusing on food forest design principles that emphasize productive polycultures that enable biocultural diversity.
- Exemplify biologically sustainable agricultural and food practices as an alternative to industrial agriculture and large-scale organic farming.
- Enhance the beauty, resilience, and integrity of our land.
- Prioritize an explorative, creative, imaginative, and playful approach to farm and garden design and routines.
- Provide a space for others to relate intellectually, emotionally, and aesthetically to the cultivation of soil, plants, and animals.
Lettuce and mixed salad greens, arugula, kale, collards, bok choi, mustard greens, tender greens, peas (shell and snap), southern peas (aka crowder beans), green onions, garlic, summer squash (scallop and/or zucchini), cucumber, edamame, shell beans (lima, soup bean), bell pepper, spicy pepper, tomato, melon, watermelon, okra, sunflower seeds, winter squash (butternut, candy roaster), sweet potato (orange, purple and white), peanuts, amaranth, rice*, buckwheat*, sesame seeds*
Sunchoke (aka jerusalem artichoke), asparagus*, walking onions
Violets, nasturtium, zinnia, old-fashioned roses, wild roses, canna lily, cosmos, daylily, iris, jasmine, gardenia
Bartlett pear, Asian pear, various plums, Arkansas black apple, golden delicious apple, mulberry*, kiwi*, pomegranate*, grapes, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry*, wolfberry*, serviceberry*, rhubarb*
Herbs and Medicinal Plants:
Basil, parsley, cilantro, mint (sweet and savory), dill, rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme, savory, chives, lemon balm, lemon verbena, comfrey, lavender, echinacea, geranium, eucalyptus, elderberry*, tea*, passionflower
*In an experimental or immature stage
Original trees, shrubs, vines and plants on the property:
Pine, sweetgum, cedar, oak, sumac, virgina creeper, poison ivy, poison oak, honeysuckle, wild blackberry, wild maypop (passionfruit), honey locust, black locust,
Previously introduced plants on the property:
Bahia and bermuda grass, ornamental pear
In May 2015, I was interviewed by Rebekah Hall for The Riveter Magazine: Read more about our farm and eco-farming!
Contact us at email@example.com for more information